Yum and yum! The creamy texture of the squash fits in perfectly with this creamy risotto dish. Try this recipe with any variety of winter squash.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- sea salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) chicken broth, mixed with 1/2 cup water and heated
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage, plus more for garnish
1. In a medium heavy-bottom saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add squash, season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until edges soften, 6-8 minutes. Add rice, stir to coat. Add wine and cook until almost all liquid has evaporated, 1-2 minutes
2. Reduce heat to medium-low and add 1/2 cup hot broth mixture. Cook, stirring until almost all liquid is absorbed. Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until liquid is absorbed before adding more, 35-40 minutes total.
3. Stir in Parmesan, sage, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Serve immediately, garnished with more Parmesan and sage, if desired.
Recipe from Martha Stewart.
Tucked in the rolling hills next to the Santa Cruz mountains, Pescadero is a community of farming and ranching just two miles east of Highway 1 and the Pacific Ocean. Cool summers and mild winters make for comfortable living and great growing conditions.